The baby monitor is an electronic equipment that is used to perceive noises made by a baby in the nursery at a further distance. The device is chiefly employed to watch over the baby whenever the child is asleep in another room while the parent is away from them.
It comes with a uni-directional radio transmitter and receiver setup built with a microphone and a receiver that includes a speaker. The device is positioned close to the infant and the receiver is carried or positioned close to the parent watching over the baby.
There are lots of baby monitors being sold in the market now and if you want to know how to choose a baby monitor, you have to know the basics first. This article will also discuss tips on choosing the model that is right for you.
The baby monitor which comes with a digital camera to display video footage on its receiving end is known as a video baby monitor or digital baby monitor. This type of baby monitor operates in the same manner as webcams and some models even have receivers which can be connected to televisions.
There are also bi-directional baby monitors, which are also called duplex monitors which make use of transceivers that let parents talk back with the infant. Some models have features which allow music to be switched on the transmitter and soothe the child.
These units are also built with video facility and are known in the industry a two-way sound baby monitor.
Some units include movement sensors as well on the transmitter which notify parents and caregivers of potential SIDS or Sudden Infant Death Syndrome. This kind of baby monitor is also known as a baby heart monitor and it keeps track of the infant’s heartbeat.
There is also a unit available that keeps track of the baby’s breathing pattern and it is called a baby breathing monitor.
For caregivers or parents who have hearing deficiencies, there are models available which have vibrating alerts on the receiver.
Here are more helpful features that you need to remember when looking for baby monitors.
1. Portable baby monitors are more ideal for parents compared to big ones. They can be clipped or tied to your belt so you can better keep track of your baby wherever you go.
Furthermore, portable models typically include a belt clip so you will not be pressed to buy an individual clip for the device.
2. Wireless monitors allow for better flexibility as well since you will not be limited to just one spot in the house. You can carry it with you as long as you keep track of the specified range the device entails and keep watch on your baby’s activities as you go about your tasks around the house.
3. Baby monitors with a camera are usually recommended by experts since parents can actually see their child’s activities. These monitors usually come in color or black and white versions. The former costs more though.
The picture quality differs particularly when it comes to low-light settings. Nurseries often have subdued lighting so make sure to check the picture display quality of the monitor.
4. Another factor to remember on how to choose a baby monitor is to guarantee that the microphone included with the camera is sensitive so you can perceive even the smallest of sounds. This is more crucial compared to picture quality.
5. It is crucial to check if the device has an excellent range so that you will be capable of tackling longer distances yet still be able to keep watch over your baby’s movements.
6. Quality baby monitors feature a low battery indicator. It is good if you invest in rechargeable batteries so you can keep an eye on your child continuously.
7. To detect a child’s movement, there are also models that have motion sensors. However, they can be costly. It may prevent the onset of SIDS though.
For better peace of mind, invest in a baby monitor with this particular feature.
8. Check that the product has an UL notice. This guarantees that the product passed UL evaluations for safety.
9. If you can, invest in a model that features several channels so you can select a channel that is free from interference you can transmit on. If any of your nearby neighbors have a baby monitor, make sure to purchase a different brand to guarantee that the signals both baby monitors emit do not get mixed up.
If you have other devices at home like wireless internet routers or cordless telephones, you might require the purchase of a baby monitor that works in a frequency range that is different from the router and phone.